RHS Rugby finish 3rd in St. Helens!


The latest and final instalment of the Year 8 rugby team took place on Monday 14th May as the squad went to the St Helens Schools 9 a side tournament.
Competition was always going to be tough with all local schools represented. The blues of Rainhill were drawn in Group A alongside Sutton and Cowley A. After sitting on the side-lines watching Cowley narrowly defeat Sutton, the Rainhill boys knew a win over Sutton would guarantee a semi-final place.

Despite chasing the game from the first minute, 2 tries and 2 conversions from Matty Mellor had the scores tied up at 12-12. Entering the last few minutes, the ball went to Kieran Newman, who ‘pinned back his ears’ and ran the full length of the field to score the try to take Rainhill ahead, Matty again converted to make it 18-12. The boys then had to defend for one final minute to see the game through and some heroics protecting the line meant we saw the game out as winners 18-12. In the second game, the lads knew if we could beat fierce rivals Cowley, we would win the group. It wasn’t to be as Cowley’s defence was resolute and we went down 22-0, but still onto the semi-finals.

The semi final saw us face De La Salle, who had knocked us out of the cup a few weeks earlier. The boys were not worried by this and despite going 0-4 down, again they showed resilience to fight back with a wonderful try from Jack Barnes, Matty converted and we were 6-4 ahead. As we headed into the latter stages of the game, our parents were giving the boys massive encouragement from the side-lines! De La Salle sneaked over for a try to take them within touching distance of the final at 10-6.

Still, our lads didn’t give in! Some strong carries got us up the other end of the field and then a dramatic finish to the game as Archie Bennett-Jones got the ball free and Matty Mellor scooped up the ball to score the try to take us into the final. However, the referee blew his whistle and deemed Rainhill had knocked the ball on and disallowed the try! The final whistle followed soon after and it was De La Salle who went onto the final.

This marked the end of a splendid season for the Year 8 boys who are always a pleasure to take to anywhere. They represent our school in the correct way and were so unlucky in the tournament. Thank you to all the parents who come along to support the boys at every single game, it is wonderful to see our boys backed up by the cheers from the side-line. Thank you to all the boys who represented the school this year, I hope to see you all back in 2018/19!

Mr Patterson, Rugby Coach.